UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We rent a property and since moving in the landlord has paid

Customer Question

We rent a property and since moving in the landlord has paid the gas bill by DD
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Since March the DD has been cancelled we have taken over the payment as I understand the landlord was paying but didn’t realise they were paying so cancelled. We have a debt collection agency (appointed by BGas) demanding the 1500 pounds bill that the lanthanides already paid what can we do we are in Wales
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Written to the debt collection agency explaining this and they have come back with a 1000 pound settlement which we have offered to pay 700 pounds
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 8 days ago.

If the landlord has already paid the bill, on what basis is the debt collector pursuing you for this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The debt collector has been appointed by British Gas who have never contacted me with regard to this matter, they referred to debt collection agency who, when they contacted me it was the first time I was made aware of the situation
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 7 days ago.

In that case, you should refer them to your landlord or inform them that the bills have already been settled by your landlord.

Please click on 5 stars