Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I live in a semi detached property. The house next door was

Customer Question

I live in a semi detached property. The house next door was sold recently and the new occupier is claiming that the party fence to the left of his property adjoining mine is his. This is on the basis that the previous occupier repaired a small part of the fence before they left. Can a new occupier do this.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Written to him
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Worcestershire
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can the lawyer advise how I can evidence nuisance
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, no they cannot do this. If you look on your title deeds the fence or wall you are responsible for maintaining will be inducsted by a small cross on the plan. That said each house is generally responsible for maintaining their left hand boundary. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there any law I can refer to. So I am clear you cannot move into a property and immediately claim the party fence as yours on the basis that the previous occupier repaired part of the fencing previously.
There are of course property related acts such as thr various Law of Property Acts but I cannot think of a particular clause that covers this point. As mentioned generally speaking a party is responsible for the left boundary of their property which is likely how this misunderstanding has arisen. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.