Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Where do I stand if I resign as a director of a business and

Hi, where do I stand if I resign as a director of a business and set up a new business in competition. Am I breaking any law in doing so? My reason for doing this is the unreasonable behavior of the other director. Thanks
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: It is a small firm with only three people on payroll and as yet no I haven't
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm and employee as well as a director with 20% shares in the business.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The other director doesn't get involved in this business on a day to day basis but has been using capital from it to fund another business that he owns.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

May I confirm if you have signed an employment contract or any terms of employment and if so whether those terms include any non-compete clauses?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, there is no signed contract for me at the business. I discovered last week that there is a contract in my name that has a witness signature but isn't signed by me.