Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement by a

I have been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement by a company regarding information about the running of their business and student details. I have been asked to sign at the end of my time with them. The job was freelance and I never had an employment contract of any kind.
JA: Was the employment contract issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Do I legally have to sign? There was no contract issued and the company is small, no HR/legal team.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: freelancers who invoice for their time on each occasion work is carried out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will it limit my future work in the same area if I sign? It seems odd that I was never asked to sign something like this at the start on my time with them so can it be enforced even if I did sign?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for? Please also provide the exact wording of the agreement or clause in question?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I worked there for roughly 2 years as a tutor on a part-time basis 1 day per week. No contracts.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If the agreement is offered to you at the end of your employment with them and there were never any contractual obligations covered by this from the start, then it is entirely up to you whether you sign it or not. Refusing to do so will mean that the employer will not be able to enforce any of the terms in it against you because there were never any contractual terms or obligations which were in place allowing them to do so. If you do sign it, make sure you are comfortable with whatever is in it and that you can adhere to it, but in general it should not prevent you from working elsewhere as long as the terms are not breached.