How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1515
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Assistant: How can I help? Can personal emailing be used in

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Can personal emailing be used in paternity court in uk?
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: The baby is due on the 22nd of December
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

We don't have paternity court in the UK.

What is it that you are trying to achieve? Contact with the baby once it is born? Being put on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a somewhat special situation

Please expand so that I can see if I can assist.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been together in a long distance relationship with a mexican woman for nearly a year and she got pregnant


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In 5 months of pregnancy she broke up with me and refuse to talk to me about anything else but the baby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering if she could take legal action against me. Also I am now not 100% certain that I am a dad

Is she in the UK or still in Mexico?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She blocked me on every portal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is in Mexico

I can't advise on Mexican law as I am an English lawyer.

However, it is likely that she can ask for child maintenance in Mexico, but it is whether she would be able to enforce it in the UK.

If you are certain that you are the father and you wish to contribute to the child's wellbeing and upbringing, then you can voluntarily pay her child maintenance if you want to.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She created an email account and said that's the only way of communication she is willing to talk to me and strictly only regarding the baby and the birth

She is entitled to choose not to communicate with you, and at least the channels are open for communication about the child.

What is it that you wish to achieve?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
To find out if I am tbe dad
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As at the moment she is requesting payment for her expenses, doctors and scan fee
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I f the baby is mine I obviously want to take care of the baby

There are paternity tests that can be done during pregnancy, but they carry a risk of miscarriage, so she may not want to have this done. Why not tell her that once it is confirmed the baby is yours you will reimburse her for the reasonable expenses she has incurred.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No matter what I write in the email to her, she only responses to the ones regarding the baby nothing else. That's what made me think if I am the father at all
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hence I wish to know if legal action can be taken against me????

The legal action that can be taken against you would be for child maintenance. She can't do that until the baby is born. If you disputed the child was yours, a paternity test would be needed.

Kindly rate positively.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see, how dos the child maintenance works if she remains overseas?
Also which party needs to pay for the paternity test?

Can you rate positively please. I will be content to respond to your follow on questions afterwards.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I rate?

There are five stars at the top of your page.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

She would have to get an order in Mexico for child maintenance and then she would have to seek to have it enforced in the UK. There is a process for this called reciprocal enforcement of maintenance orders - REMO. You can google for further information.

Either you or her can pay for the test. If she pays and you are the father, then she can probably claim that back from you. If you pay and you're not the father, you can probably claim that back from her.

All the best.