Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a question regarding defamation and slander. Can you

Hello, I have a question regarding defamation and slander. Can you help?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am the accused
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes the person owes me money

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please provide some more details of your circumstances.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok give me a few minutes to type.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
A flatmate and old friend I used to live with owes me money from 2014. I have been chasing for my funds but in March when I said I would take them to small claims they blocked me and went into hiding. He threatened me over the phone he wouldn't pay but I don't have any thing in writing to back this other than a third person who was in the room when I made the call.I tried to call and all letters I posted to business addresses came back unsigned. I couldn't find a person address.I went online to try and trace the person by posting a message on a property networking site. Unfortunately I mentioned a name and that he owes money. I also reached out on facebook to mutual friends to see if they can broker a deal.He reached out to me and I took down the ost after he provided an address and £500. He still doesn't want to pay even though I took my post down as he is saying that I am responsible for remoing the line from google as it has now been indexed and can be searched. He is accusing me of harassment and tarnishing his character and is threatening to sue me if I go to small claims.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Above is a summary but we can talk

Thank you and what do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I want to know where I legally stand. Does he have a case against me?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
what are the implications.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
They are cached broken links and I have already put a request in to google to take them down but of course they will take time.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If you don't have time to respond toady could you let me know. Due to time sensitivity of this would be great to talk.

I presume that whatever you mentioned about him was true?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
100% and have the evidence to back it hence why I'm desperately trying to go to small claims to resolve this.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
All I tried to do was find an address or get people to broker communication as he was trying to hide from me and prevent me from going to court to mediate.

ok I am not entirely sure what he thinks he can claim for but there isn’t much to be honest. This is not defamation or slander/libel in any way – this only happens if you have made false statements against him. What you said may not have made him look good but if it was the truth, then there is nothing he can do about it. Similar to making a bad review for a hotel or restaurant – it will make them look bad and affect their business, but if it is true, they cannot do anything about it – they should have not done the things which resulted in the negative comments. Same principle applies here – you may have told others about it, but you only mentioned factually correct information and that is not unlawful, even if he was made to look bad and his reputation was affected.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What about his business. Can he claim damages fir his busr reputation. I mentioned his company. He says this is a person issue but we used to work together and he is the sole director of the business.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
for his

That does not really matter either – you may have mentioned the business but that is still a fact. Anyone may have been able to just look at his name and found links online to his business anyway

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I just wanted to make sure where I stand just so I can sleep better and understand my right. Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Have a good evening

All the best