How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6606
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I’ve had a letter hand delivered from the bailiffs, they

This answer was rated:

I’ve had a letter hand delivered from the bailiffs, they gave it to my mother in law as I was in bed after a night shift. The letter is for someone who does not live here! I have tried to call the bailiffs 47 times but they are constantly engaged. What do I do??
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Staffordshire UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I rang them before as a kept getting letter for someone who does not live here, I had to open a letter as it had no return address so I could tell them to stop sending letters for this person. I told them the said person does not live at my address and said I have ID and tendency agreement to prove I am not said person. I didn’t have another letter for a month then the bailiff hand delivered a letter this morning
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I have lived at my address for over 4 years. I don’t know if that person lived here previously

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

They cannot take anything as that person does not live at your address - you should send them a letter to confirm this and confirm who does live at your address. You should demand they stop contacting you (or attending your property) and if they do not then you will report them with a view to having their certificate is stripped from them (and that you will apply for an injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997). The letter should be a formal complaint and ask them to respond to you within 28 days or you will report them to a bailiff trade body.

Send the letter by both post and email - they will reply to you if they value their business.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,


I hope I have answered the question for you. If so could you kindly rate the answer (5 stars at the top of your screen). It won’t cost extra to give the rating and I will be credited for helping you.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you