Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

We do work as requested by lettings agencies. A landlord is

We do work as requested by lettings agencies. A landlord is refusing to pay a bill . The invoice is addressed to the letting agent. Are they responsible for paying the bill. They now no longer service the property in question.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, the agent owes us other unpaid invoices as well. They have paid a few but they owe us 700.00 in unpaid invoices. One other invoice they say the landlord will pay directly. We had a dispute with them a few months back and we no longer do work for them
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: cheltenham
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: really I just need to know where we stand legally. If I ask the letting agents for the landlords contact details I would have thought that they would not under the data protection be allowed to divulge this. The invoice is addressed to the letting agent. Other letting agents insist that we put "to the landlord" in the addressing details which I presume removes their responsibility.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Who is the party to the contract is it the landlord or the letting agent? What is the value of the invoice please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Our invoices are addressed to the letting agent. As stated we no longer do work for the letting agent. The letting agent responded on email that the landlord thinks they have paid too many invoices for work we have carried out . We have one invoice of that property outstanding which is for 252.00. But as really just need to know who we take to court since I have other outstanding invoices that the sent has not paid to us to the value of 756.00 including the one mentioned above.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I just need to know really if my contract is with the agent or the landlord

It depends on who the contract is with.

If the work has been done then one of them owes you the money.

If the arrangement was made with the agent and they have always been invoiced and been paid then the claim is against them.

If the arrangement was made with the landlord and they have paid then it is against the landlord.

Is there anything I can clarify for you please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the arrangement was through the letting agent. I don't believe that we have signed any contract with the letting agent.

It doesn't matter that there is a signed contract. It is who the arrangement was made with.

If you have made the arrangement via the agent, invoiced them and they have paid then they are liable.

It is up to them to recover their losses from the landlord as they see fit.

Is there anything i can clarify for you please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No that is rally what I needed to know. Many thanks