Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Assistant: How can I help? I'm a tenant with an assured

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I'm a tenant with an assured shorthold tenancy agreement for a term of 12 months paying rent on a monthly basis. My letting agent sent an email yesterday ( one month before the tenancy expires) saying the landlord wants to increase the rent by £50 per month to be in line with market prices. My current rent is £1250.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have a clause in the contract saying that rent increases should be discussed at least 2 months before the agreement expires.
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How should we go about the negotiation? Is it legal to give us such short notice? We were planning on staying for another year, but not with this big of a rent increase.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'd like to know if we can stay in the flat for another year at the same rate.

Are you at the end of the fixed period?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It's a bit less than a month before the end.

Ok. Has the Landlord served a S.13 notice?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No notice. Just a short email from the letting agent.

Ok. The Landlord is entitled to increase rent.

If you are at the end of your agreement and lets assume rent isnt agreed, the Landlord can serve you with a S21 notice giving you 2 months notice to leave.

There is nothing you can do about that. You are at the end of the fixed term and the landlord is entitled to the property back.

That is something to bear in mind. its a matter of negotiation.

So if you cant agree the Landlord can give you 2 months notice to leave.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help.The thing that annoyed me is that they are only giving us only one month notice for the rent increase. Our contract has a paragraph in it that states that the rent increase should be discussed at least two months before the end of the tenancy.
Is that not a breach of contract that I can use to my advantage in any way?

Ok, yes you can get 2 months out of it, but not more

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand. OK. Thank you for your help!

Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No. That would be it. Thank you!

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.