How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7461
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Thanks for your welcoming mesage. Assistant: Where is this?

This answer was rated:

Hi, thanks for your welcoming mesage.
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: First of all, the issue is that I want to get out of a contract in which I am until next year October because O have a job offer abroad. My landlady wants to now sell the flat and wants to make me pay rent until February. I don't have a breaking clause in the contract, so I know I am. Liable to pay rent untip next October. My question is, does this change because she puts the flat on the market for sales?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the above, thanks.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

The tenancy is a contract and she can serve a notice on you to ask you to leave by a date (if for example she sells the property). If she sells it sooner then you would not be expected to pay rent after the date the property sells (as the property would then have new owners). But if the flat does not sell until next year and your contract runs to February then unfortunately yes you would be liable to pay it. That is unless the landlord agrees to release you earlier. If you left the UK and left the flat before February (and did not pay) she may sue you for the rent arrears but if you are abroad she may not do this (and she would need to know your address abroad to do so).

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the speedy and helpful reply. I will struggle to pay rent here and in another place at the same time, so I will try to come to an agreement with her. Is it possible to agree with her to take my deposit as rent for the last 6 weeks? Am I legally allowed to request that?
Many thanks again

You can do so although it would be up to her - it would leave her open to bearing the cost of any damage to the property (the deposit is used for this). So yes, you can certainly ask and hopefully they will accommodate the request.

Have a good day

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great, thanks. Luckily there is no damage to the property. Thanks so much, have a good day too!

No problem, take care