31090051

I do Music production online and under our services we

Hi there,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I do Music production online and under our services we donate 100% of copyrights to the client when we do 'session tracks' online
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: I have a question regarding the PPL for the performers (our musicians) Would they be allowed to collect PPL even if the copyrights are 100% donated to the client?
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No, this is a new service. I just want to make sure we have this covered under our terms and conditions
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, it is a simple question

Thanks for your question. I am an entertainment and media solicitor in the UK. PPL royalties are generally divided 50:50 between the copyright owner and the qualifying performers. You can of course ask the performers for a waiver in lieu of a session fee. The detailed PPL rules can be found here but that is the basic position: https://www.ppluk.com/tools-resources/member-policies-and-distribution-rules/ I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi JGM,I am not from the UK, but I am the director of the company, that is why I am having difficulties understanding the PPL here. So, is the PPL in UK different of other copyrights for music? Even if a client owns 100% of copyrights for the distribution, use, sales and intellectual property of a song, can the performers collect PPL copyrights for being a performer on the recording? Thanks.Marcus.

PPL is not a copyright. It is a performance royalty levied on radio stations and other media which broadcasts music. The royalties are ingathered by PPL from returns made by the media outlets and then they are distributed half to the owners of the recording and half to the registered performers. The media outlets have to supply PPL with playlists so that they know where to allocate the royalties. Similarly the recordings have to be registered with PPL so that they can allocate them to the right owners and performers.