JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I lived in USA from 2001 to 2008 with wife and 2 children.

I lived in USA from 2001 to 2008 with wife and 2 children. Wife had rheumatoid arteries and fibromyalgia. Doctor prescribed opioids - oxicodone and like to which she became addicted making my job as a company director difficult. She was also diagnosed with Bi Polar which she had never been diagnosed with before. In 2008 the financial crash forced me to take up work in my home country UK and onto Abu Dhabi not knowing wife drugs were illegal and hard to get. She went into withdrawal and started to act out of character. She started having many affairs with locals and ended up with a Sri Lankan Taxu Driver which broke us up, I lost job after job after suffering a nervous breakdown. She went back to UK with children and I divorced her for her behaviour, Can I claim for damages against drug companies?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Ex wife in Hampshire, I'm in Buckinghamshire
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I now work in Lebanon.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You would have to allege negligence against the drug companies (for either knowingly supplying a drug which damages the patient). The GP would usually say that a patient is not to take too many of a particular drug in case they become dependent - they would be in trouble with the medical council. The other difficulty with all this is the statute of limitations - for any injury it is usually a 3 period whereby a claimant must bring a claim to the court (issue a claim). If they are late then they need to give a good reason why they did not sue earlier.

Sorry this is not what you wanted to hear but my view is the prospect of successfully suing the drug companies would be slim to zero. They would also have a large budget to defend any claim made against them so the financial risks would be high if you were to lose against them.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks Jim. I have spent years trying to get this answer. To be honest, I should have done something nearer the time it all happened. But I was struggling to come to terms with it all and trying to move on that it was all just too much. Its only with the current round of settlements with the producers of the painkiller drugs that brought the issue to mind. My ex wife is still in denial and won't make her own claim but as the youngest child is about to turn 18 and I can stop paying maintenance, at that point and move on. Thanks again.

It's no problem and I am sorry the advice is more positive. The main hurdles are the time period and the fact you would be up against a large company - you could ask a law firm if they would consider taking it on (on a "no win no fee" basis) such as http://www.slatergordon.co.uk - it would not do any harm to enquire and if they see any merit they will likely offer to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor