How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14503
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My mother died late last year and I ordered a memorial and

This answer was rated:

My mother died late last year and I ordered a memorial and paid the council for the right to erect it on behalf of my father who has now died and as the memorial was not started I added my father's details. However, the council say they require a grave owner to sign it off.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I am preparing a statutory declaration and my only sibling has renounced her rights. I need someone to check and sign (stamp) it. Both my parents had estates too small to probate.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: The grave is in Kettering at the Rothwell Road cemetery. The form I have is from Kettering Bereavement Services and they require it to give me permission for the memorial.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service and i therefore maybe delayed in replying.

to clarify - who is the grave owner?

and your sister has no interest?

F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14503
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is effectively no grave owner now as my parents bought it some years ago. The memorial for my Mother was ok as my Dad was still alive but as he died before it was erected Kettering Borough Council now say they need a grave owner and so sent me the form for a Statutory Declaration which once they have it (and £53 additional to the £125 I paid for the right to erect a memorial). My sister has completed a form of renunciation which they will also need, plus a photo of me.

This is really easy to deal with. We spoke. I said I would confirm what we spoke about.

If you go to your local county court and speak to the court office, and ask them whether you can swear a statutory declaration please, they will normally do it for free. It takes a minute.

Alternatively, go to any solicitors office and ask them if you can swear a statutory declaration please. They will normally do it without an appointment because it takes two minutes and they get a fixed fee of 5 pounds for it. They cannot charge more.

Sometimes, the statutory declaration may refer to an additional document and if it does there is an extra fee of 2 pounds for each additional document.

Hence, you are talking about beer money, not GBP250 per hour!

If a solicitor wanted to make an appointment to do this, walked down the street and find one who will do it there and then. It’s not worth making an appointment for the sake of two minutes.

Absolutely straightforward.

Kind regards.