Jak Bowtell
Jak Bowtell, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons) (ling.) ( franc.) (UEA) ARAeS
106352453

I take 30 mls of zomprph and 10 mils od Severdol..daile...

Hi so i take 30 mls of zomprph and 10 mils od Severdol..daile...
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ecerything radup fragrequency technology cortisone injection every other tablet. I worl i have a fantastics job but now my doctor says she will no t change my tablet..i know we have a tolerance ut all im asking is to change to a different C.D not to increase them. Im in so much its unbearabl now as they dont care.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just i dont jnow where eles to turn to and i dont want to loose my job i have 700 mortgage to pay cant do athat and put my daughter through college to ecome a lawyer without my job.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I also feel as of the doctor is victimising me as i was once addicted to pain meds long time ago but at the monemt i have done everything pain managemnt team have ask me to do all procedures they signed me off saying there would be nothing they could do now and would be on medication for the rest of my life.....
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I also have private medical insurance through my work would it hepl if i went through them or am i asting my time...i just wa t help i cant go on day to day like this some mornings i cant even get up out of my bed and my back righthand spasms so bad i cant move.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
no im completely fine with that all i want is what i pay my taxes for and the help im required. So i am very happy to wait for your help.

I can help with this. I am an academic lawyer with an interest in medicines and prescribing. Could you tell me if the doctor you saw was a private or NHS GP?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
NHS

Can you confirm you take 30ml of Zomorph and 10 ml Severdol daily?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
right so its 12hr release zomorph and 2 severdol between 6 and 8 hrs
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
im also prescribed amatriptillian but we have had that dropped to 25mls

These are very powerful pain medications, as you know, may I ask what you take the medicines for?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
1 12hr realease

Amitriptyline is a good choice for nerve pain and is not addictive. But you mentioned you're decreasing your intake of this, correct?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
my back pain i have been given every procedure went through pain managment team trued radio frequency technology that didnt work and was told by specialist i would be on meds for rest of my life...all i want is different pain meds not to upped but they wint change as they are opiods i used to be on 500ml oral.morhine every 2 weeks we stipped and changed to the tablest and yes they worked but thats been a yr now and i vant guve up my job my daughter is going through colloge to become a laywer and i have a 600 quid mortgage
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
from 75mls to 25 they have tried other to help but at the moment i cant remember they makde me sweat and sick...i work in a clean room so its a no.

I'm sorry to here about your back pain. You mentioned you had a problem with pain medication addiction in the past, is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
longtime ago so i think i am being labelled by the doctors and its wring i need for pain some days i cant even walk
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
this has been going on for over 6 yrs...new legislation came in about older people dying of too much meds since this has happened its just a no to everuthing i ask
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i have sat at docotors cried my eyes out and been shunned
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
as i say i dont want them upped i want a different form of the meds

It is very important that a medical practitioner properly consults your medical history if they see you have had a problem with opioid pain medication they should not prescribe it to you. To do so may be considered negligent. Your pain specialist should have spotted this too if this is all in your NHS records. Your GP should give you medication to help you wean yourself of the powerful opioids you're taking and try alternatives. Some of which include Naproxen, Diclofenac, corticosteroid injections, gabapentinoid medication such as pregabalin or gabapentin. Another medication is baclofen. These in combination should help. Your doctors should not be giving you opioids in the circumstances. You may legally have a claim in negligence against the GP or pain specialist who prescribed these medications, despite knowing your medical history as there are alternatives.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
they know it all and believe me all u have said i have been given and tried and never worked...after radio frequency i had about 5 or 6bweeks with no poan but if it returns within a period of 18month they wont do it again as its too exspensive. i totally understand what your saying but the main problem is my back is competely knackered and without the hepl of the meds i cant work.

Okay, I see. So what would you ideally like to happen?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
sorry for spelling im at work and shouldnt have my phone with me
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thats why i have contacted you i dont knownwhere i stand i need the help to be mobile so what can i do to change my doctors mind to help me. Otherwise im going to have to give up my job and i work for a very large company Thermo Fisher Scientific so i cant walk away from that the bennfits alone outweight the great wage i get.

You could explain the situation and request one of the following: Oxycontin, methadone, fentanyl (sublingual or patches) paired with a muscle relaxant like diazepam. Unfortunately, and I know it's not what you want to hear it is your doctor's clinical judgement what they prescribe, they are responsible if something goes wrong. Can you see a different GP or pain specialist?

You could ask you, pain specialist, to refer you to someone more specialised in severe back pain privately, your work insurance may cover this.

Legally, there is little else you can do

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
as i said i was sent to pain managment team ive seen a few other in same surgery who help then the main doctor Dr Dahl put a stop and done it her way.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
i have private medical insurance through work

I recommend you ask to be referred to a back pain specialist and liaise with your insurer

They will be able to recommend stronger drugs to help you beyond your GP's specialism

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
ok will do thank you so much for help you have given me some insight to what ive bever been told.

I do hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate my answer to close the question, this ensures I'm compensated for my time. You can, of course, ask additional questions afterwards too.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
no problem thanks again.

It's been a pleasure to help you, I'm so sorry for your trouble.

Jak Bowtell, Lawyer
Experience: LLB (Hons) (ling.) ( franc.) (UEA) ARAeS