Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I’m in a payment dispute with a removal company i used. They

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i’m in a payment dispute with a removal company i used. They are over charging me. I only want to pay a reasonable amount rather than the amount they demanded.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I in Brighton, uk.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I spoke to them and they won’t listen to reason
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That they tried to charge me 3 time s with 3 different amount

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have they provided a breakdown of the charge? Also, was a price not agreed before using the service?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they have on the first quote, but the quote was wrong. They told me the new quote will be not much more expensive, so i gave them the go ahead in good faith without asking for a further quote
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they have on the first quote, but the quote was wrong. They told me the new quote will be not much
more expensive, so i gave them the go ahead in good faith without asking for a further quote
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they have on the first quote, but the quote was wrong. They told me the new quote will be not much more expensive

Thank you. When a person enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

{C}· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

If there are cost disputes, for example the trader asking for additional money either during or at the end of the work, consumers can potentially challenge these. Ideally, it is preferable to have a written agreement in place, setting out what price was agreed and what for, so that both parties can refer to it. Assuming that does not exist, a reasonable price would need to be negotiated for it as it may not be possible to completely refuse to compensate them for it. This should however, prevent them from charging for work which was not agreed or communicated, or if the costs are clearly becoming unreasonable high when compared to the original quote or what is considered reasonable in these circumstances.

It is up to them now how they take it further and that would generally mean that if they do not agree with your proposal, they will have to take this further to the Small Claims Court to challenge you and it is up to the court to decide what is fair and what should be paid. Even if you lose, you will not be liable for their legal fees though so it is not that risky letting it get that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you.

All the best