JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Ive lved with partner for 10 years and he keeps telling me

Ive lved with partner for 10 years and he keeps telling me ive to get out of his house ,he already owned this .whilst we've lived together he bought a chapel and turned it into an antique shop ,ive got proof that ive contributed to household for 10 years have i got any claim of anything when we split
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In barnsley south yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ive put my name down on local council for a house
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can he just throw me out as im disabled and cant go on the streets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

If you have contributed financially over the years then you can apply to the local county court for an occupation order (as you can establish a beneficial interest in the property due to your contributions). If the beneficial interest is established then you can also ask the court to recognise the share of the home and you could at that point apply to force a sale of the property to get your share from it.

Once you have an occupation order you would legally be entitled to live there for 6 months (it can be extended) and during this time you can deal with the value of your share from the property. It would be worth instructing a solicitor for the above - you can get help with fees if you are in receipt of benefits or have a low income/have low savings.

This firm is recommended in this area of law:

https://www.rcsolicitors.co.uk/family-law/restrictive-orders/occupation-orders

If he becomes aggressive or tries to throw you out, you should tell him you can apply for the order and the court may order he pays for the application too.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would i be entitled to anything from the business