How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6449
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Would i be entitled to anything from the business

This answer was rated:

Would i be entitled to anything from the business

Yes, if you can show you contributed then you can establish ownership - if there is no partnership agreement in place, the law says that you are still a default partner (even if there is no written agreement) so you are a 50% owner in that scenario. The law is under the Partnership Act 1890 - so if you and your ex work in a business designed to make a profit then you are deemed to be partners regardless.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even if I only contributed to the household bilss

If you worked for the business with someone and it was to make profit, by default you are a 50% shareholder (this is why it is vital to have a partnership agreement drawn up to specify share amounts)

JimLawyer and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you