How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14848
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am enquiring about housing law - rentals in particular,

This answer was rated:

i am enquiring about housing law - rentals in particular
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have tried to contact a housemate on a joint tenancy agreement who has not paid her rent. she is ignoring all contact and calls
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have previously signed a break clause for the tenancy agreement and the agency is refusing to return my deposit
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello I have some queries please
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there, I am still awaiting a reply

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jamie thank you for replying.
I am querying an odd situation. I had a joint tenancy agreement previously with 3 other individuals for a property we rented. I invoked the break clause on 5th May 2019 and paid all admin fees accordingly

They refuse on what basis?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A new contract was then drafted to begin on 6th June 2019 which did not include my name. It was never fully signed by a guarantor. Am i now liable for any rent that is outstanding?

No. You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Once i had invoked the break clause in May my deposit was never returned to me as they had claimed a new contract was not signed yet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Then in July, one of the housemates did not pay her rent. The agency claimed that we are all liable for that portion and refuse to return my full deposit but instead just a portion, deducting for lost rent

Yes you just take the steps I have outlined above.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A new contract was only signed on for 6th August

Yes, I realise that. But sadly the answer is the same.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
am i liable for the missed rent or not? Sorry, just wanted to check


Does that assist?

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does. Thank you for your time.