Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am hoping to purchase a used car from a private individual

I am hoping to purchase a used car from a private individual I have carried out checks using Car Analytics. All came back Ok except it showed finance on the car. Also, the owner is still waiting for the return of the logbook as he is recovering personal plates
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: What do I NEED TO DO TO BE ABLE TO PROCEED WITH THE PURCHASE
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Citizens advice and now you
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I have told you what I need to know

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you queries what the finance is about and if it will be paid off?

Experience: Qualified Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The finance is with Motor Novo finance the seller says it £5k on a £12 k car He says he intends to pay it off but how do I protect my self as I am paying him before the finance is paid off and I only have his word that it is only 5k and that he is going to pay it off ? also how do I deal with the fact he does not have the logbook back yet .
Can I proceed or do I need to abandon the purchase if I can proceed wheat do I have to do.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Can I have the answer to my question or my money refunded so I can try elsewhere? I would prefer the answers if possible

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Hi, thank you for your enquiry and your patience. I am sorry it has taken quite some time for you to get a response to your question, it seems the expert who looked into first was not able to assist you.

The direct answer to your question is that unless you trust this seller to pay off the outstanding debt you are better off staying away from this transaction. The vehicle is not his to dispose of until the finance is cleared. The vehicle is owned by the finance company and even if you buy it in good faith believing what the seller is telling you the finance company will look to you to settle the finance and yet you will have lost money to the private seller. If you were buying from a dealership they will normally settle the deby simultaneously at the point when you purchase it and they would give you written confirmation. Now you can contact the finance company yourself and advice you are looking to purchase the vehicle and want confirmation of the outstanding debt in order to settle this. If they confirm above £5K then you the seller is not telling the truth and there is a high chance they would not settle the hire purchase debt when you pay them. It does not help too that there is no log book. the decision is yours ultimately but unlike dealerships where you can rely on the consumer rights act 2015 for redress a private seller will be difficult and expensive to pursue if you ever want your money back. I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating of my assistance on your question. I wish you all the best