Jak Bowtell
Jak Bowtell, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons) (ling.) ( franc.) (UEA) ARAeS
106352453

We're organising a charity lottery for our school, and we

Hello. We're organising a charity lottery for our school, and we were wondering if that is classed as an incidental lottery
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: This is at Eton, in Berkshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We're at the planning stage and don't know if we need permission from the council to have it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it, thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, if it is classified as an incidental lottery, would there be any restrictions imposed on the amount of money given out/profits going towards charity?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Say, for example, that the grand prize is at any given time 15% of the money generated through ticket sales. Is there no limit to its value, or is it restricted in some way?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyway, many thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way, what I meant before was: If prizes and the remainder of the money (which goes to charity) are derived through ticket sales only, is there any cap on them? Thank you.

Your lottery is defined as 'simple' under the Gambling Act 2005. It is also an 'incidental' lottery. Incidental lotteries must comply with conditions set out in Schedule 11 of the Act and related Statutory Instruments, and includes the following:

* You must no deduct more than GBP100 from the proceeds in
respect of the expenses incurred in organising the lottery, such as the cost of
printing tickets, hire of equipment etc
* no more than £500 can be deducted from the proceeds for prizes. Other prizes may
be donated to the lottery and there is no maximum limit on the value of donated
prizes
( the lottery cannot involve a rollover of prizes from one lottery to another)
* tickets can only be sold at the location and during the event. The results of the
lottery can be drawn at the event or after it has finished.
It is recommended that the
organisers of the lottery make it clear to participants when the result of the lottery
will be decided.

So for example, if you did very well, and gave a prize of 15% to the winner (no limit on the value), from the remainder you may deduct no more than GBP 100 for ticket sales, admin etc. The max prize would be 500GBP, and over that can be donated to charity for which there is no limit.

I do hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate my answer to close the question, this ensures I'm compensated for my time if you're satisfied. You can, of course, ask additional questions afterwards too.