How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 714
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have had work done on my car some months ago only to have

This answer was rated:

I have had work done on my car some months ago only to have issues with it ie engine being held on by 4 bolts oil leaking and other stuff I’ve messaged the man that did the work asking for him to reimburse do I can get the car sorted he’s not replied what’s my next step
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve had it checked out by another mechanic and he’s highlighted what’s wrong sent me the pictures which I’ve forwarded to the other mechanic and I’ve asked him to pay for the work this was yesterday he’s not replied his seen messages
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at mo


Did the new mechanic state that the job undertaken by the previous mechanic was not done properly

Anthony Chendo and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he did
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had a clutch changed and a service he had the car three days sorry not paying £44 for a phone call

Ok no problem we can discuss via text

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

The law in question is the consumers rights act section 49 which states services provided must be done with reasonable care and skill. It appears that the mechanic did not carry out the works with reasonable care and skill since the new mechanic stated the job done was not done up to scratch

Therefore I suggest you carry out these steps

Obtain something in writing from the new mechanic which states the old mechanic did not carry out the works properly and if he did your vehicle would not have broken down

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What steps?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got all that got videos and pictures and a breakdown of what needs doing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how much it’s going to cost

Then send this info to the new mechanic and state that he has breached section 49 of the consumers rights act 2015

Then notify the old mechanic for a refund for all the money you paid within 14 days failing which you will file a complaint to the financial ombudsman

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how long do I wait for a reply from him

Or if you wish to skip the ombudsman part you can commence a small claim in the local county claim

Local county court

Give him 14 days from the date you sent the letter and ensure you date the letter and keep a copy of it too

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’ve messaged him as I don’t have a address for him done it via Facebook and his mobile phone

Do you have his email address because if you go down the court route they will need to see something more formal

Further your email has to have these words LETTER BEFORE ACTION at the top

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don’t have an email address I have copies of all messages

Ok that's fine but if you find an email or home address send a message via that method too so you know you have done everything in your power to bring your issue to his attention

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’ve been looking for his business address but not come across it as of yet

Ok if come you across send it but if you dont make a note of the searches you undertook to find it because if this went down the court route they will want to know why you couldn't find a business address

I hope I have answered your query

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

No problem and all the best

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks again
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ps I’ve not been charged for the phone call have I ?

I dont think so because I didn't state I spoke to you on a feedback form. However if you have been charged please contact just answer customer service to arrange a refund

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will check it out thanks