Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I'm having problems getting my deposit back off my previous

Hi Pearl, My name is***** and I'm having problems getting my deposit back off my previous landlord. He's trying to charge more for damage to the room which was already present when I moved in. The entire building has always been in disrepair and now I think there trying to cut the costs at my expense. I want to fight my case as I always paid my rent on time and feel like I'm being scapegoated here. Thanks
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I only received notification yesterday that they where seeking to take between £200-350 of my £460 deposit to cover the cost which I am not responsible for. I don't know where to start hense I'm here
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Ambelcote just outside Stourbridge in the west Midlands
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes there a alot of things in the building that are against the rules such as r

I am currently reviewing your question and will return to you shortly

Is your deposit protected in deposit protection scheme

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I believe so

In order to challenge the deposit I suggest you undertake the steps below

Seek to obtain photographs of what the property looked like before you went to the property

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have a few already

If you have some good. If not ask the landlord whether he had someone inspect the property before you moved in

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I know for a fact he did not

Then obtain pictures of the property just before you left

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
As the current landlord took over half way through my tenure
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They have sent me some so I have those too

Then ask the landlord to provide a breakdown of why the damage to repair caused the amount charged

Once you have this evidence and if you truly believe you did not cause such damage then send the pics of before and after and a full explanation why you didn't cause the damage via the deposit scheme website

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok I will do that I'm just waiting for response for my last email to them. Just so you know they are also softly accusing me of being a class a drug user of which I am not

Ask to provide evidence of that too because that's can be deemed as defamatory

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks I will be putting all this I response to them so thank you. What do I do after I have all this info together?

The deposit scheme your deposit is under will have a Dispute resolution service on their website. Go on this and then submit all your evidence and explanation

If the situation is not resolved via this method you can then consider filling a complaint with the housing ombudsman

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Brilliant thanks for all your help

No problem

Please rate the answer given using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given and credit me for the answer given