Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My manager has asked me to take on another roll that I have

Hello, my manager has asked me to take on another roll that I have no knowledge of, and says that if I dont take it on I will be put on discipline action, I work for the NHS as a complaints officer and she want me to take on another department roll where I have no knowledge of
Assistant: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have discussed it with my manager but she says I have to take the job change, I have an appointment with HR on Thursday
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employees
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My manager already changed my contracted job to the one I'm doing now, which I was upset about but did it anyway

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What reason has she provided for wanting to do this and how significantly different is the new role?

Please can you also tell me how long you have worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing on the job description is relatable to me, some of of the things I would have to learn and there is nobody available to train me, I have just passed my probation, and it will be a year in October
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This request was done in behalf of my sister lileath James

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. In general, an employer should not change your contractual terms and conditions, including your role, without having the right under contract to do so or getting your consent first. However, if they do so anyway, your rights will only stretch as far as complaining internally, before considering whether to resign and claim constructive dismissal.

The internal complaint option is open to you and you are entitled to raise your concerns through a formal grievance using the employer’s own grievance procedure. However, if that is unsuccessful and the changes remain, you would not be able to take it any further and go down the constructive dismissal route. That is because you need to have at least 2 years’ service to do so, which you unfortunately dion’t. Employees can therefore be left with limited rights until they have reached that threshold and that is also the case here - you would either have to accept the changes i the end, or leave but without being able to take this any further legally.

Does this answer your query?