How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13809
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Traffic law question. I am being prosecuted for failing to

This answer was rated:

Hi traffic law question. I am being prosecuted for failing to provide details of an incident that happened on the 2nd Jan. I went on a 8 week holiday on the 4th Jan and returned on the 5th March. In the meantime i was asked to provide details by the 7th Feb. Couldn't do it. when I returned I wrote to the police and provided evidence. now im in court for failing to supply info in a timely manner ?? How can I get this pending court hearing cancelled ?/
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: yes so summons says but I have provided flight details, passport stamps hotel bill etc to prove I was in Australia
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: it happened at brent cross, London. I haven't contacted anyone as I don't work now due to retirement and cant believe im being taken to court over this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so, albeit alleged incident was that lady drove into my parked car as wife was getting out of car. she hit my wifes door but is blaming me. that said I have been told that she cant do anything about that

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, Following a minor traffic incident 2nd Jan, (lady drove into my car) I have been prosecuted for failing to provide details to the police in a timely manner. Issue is I was written to on the 7h Jan, I was out of the country for 2 months from the 4th Jan. I replied when I returned, thought that was the end of it and no being taken to court ?

Ok Then you can plead not guilty.

The Court is likely to take a view when you enter your plea.

If you have evidence showing you were not in the UK then you cant be prosecuted.

But go to the first plea hearing.

Show the prosecutor. They may well dismiss the case.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i already sent in details of everything, hence cant understand why im being told i have to attend for sentencing. Is there anything I can do so i dont have to go

If its sentence then there has been a trial.

I assume you didnt turn up at the trial when you should have.

If you were not in the country at the time of the trial at the sentencing hearing you can ask the Court to re-open and deal with the matter on a not guilty basis.

The Court will then take a view or set it down for another trial.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you