How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6012
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

We have taken over the care of our grandchildren....and it

This answer was rated:

we have taken over the care of our grandchildren....and it may be a long term situation..what steps are required to get a parental responsibility order?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: none yet...the childrens mother is proving to be rather ....uncommunicative...we are on a very low budget so were not looking to file anything unless absolutely necassary
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: such as?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you.

I've been asked to look at this for you.

I will pick it up first thing in the morning for you, as I'm sure you appreciate it's late.

Could you just clarify if there has been any social services/ local authority involvement?

plclegal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not at present

OK, you would need to file an application for a child arrangements order.

As you are a grandparent, you need to file a c2 application to ask for permission (as you do not have legal parental responsibility for your grandchildren).

The form is here:

The main application is on form c100 - here:

You file both applications together and the fee to do this is £215, but can possibly get a fee exemption if you are on low income/have low savings. You would need to fill out a fee exemption form (

There is a helpful link here that talks all about grandparents' rights and applying for residence:

I hope this helps.