JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

After a relationship breakdown, I am selling the property I

After a relationship breakdown, I am selling the property I jointly own with my ex-partner. Is he entitled to half the equity if he did not put half into the original deposit?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Nottingham UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. He is being obstructive.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this service free at the moment?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Are you married to your ex? How much was the deposit?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No we're not married. The deposit was £10,000. I paid £6K
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I would prefer not to speak on the phone, thank you

That's fine, we can continue online. I am typing the answer for you

As you are not married how much you are entitled to depends how much you have put in and how much of the mortgage you have paid off compared to him. If you put in £6K then this is yours (contrast if you were married where the money would be "mingled" and your ex may have a claim).

If you own the property as joint tenants (50/50) then you would need his permission to sell - you could sever the joint tenancy and hold your share as a tenant in common. You could then force a sale or sell your share to someone else. You should ask him why he thinks he is entitled to half if he did not pay half of the deposit.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim