UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Mi name is Rafal. I have question about mi lost phone, I

Hi mi name is***** have question about mi lost phone
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have mi phone bacjk. Police gave it to me after i have tracked it and gave them location of the phone. My phone is cleared from all my data. Police want to close the case because the guy claimes that he have ound the phone only day before police got his location. I know it is not a true because he was usoong my phone and he have loged in to his social media on mi device. I want him to take responsibility for mi lost data but they want to close the case
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to know can Ise his social media as a proof that he is laing to me and the police

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding

Hello what do you mean, you want to log into his social media account from your phone?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
e is loged iin to his social media on m phone. I have got it from police like this. That is how i know that he got the phone right after i have left it in the cinem. but he claims that he found it in another location.

Ok, if that is the case, then you have evidence that he used your phone and you should tell the police and use that as evidence, that more likely than not, he stole your phone.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am not going to be penalized for checking his profile on my phone? I have acces to his gmail with tells me exactly when he loged in on my device. I can use it as an evidence? What to do if police says that they want to close the case? they say it is hard to prove it but they dont know what I know.

No, there will be no penalty. You are not using his account, and it is your phone. You have a right to look at your phone, but you must clearly respect the privacy of individuals. So if it is just a case of confirming your phone has been violated and you want to use that as evidence, you may do so. But also, what outcome are you looking for? Do you want him to be charged / fined? You have your phone back and it is best to think of what will be the likely outcome of this

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
s I know that having mi phone back is the most important. But I have it from last christmas and all my data from nearly a year are gone this includes contacts and my pictures and videos from all holidays and other events in that time. Can I demand a compensation for that loss? If yes how do do it?

If that is the case, and it is compensation you are looking for, firstly, you will need to quantify the compensation. Once you do so, then you can make a claim. This will be a civil matter which is different from a criminal one, which is what you would instigate by telling the police your phone was stolen. Either way, you will need to tell the police, and/or instruct a solicitor.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. I will consider it. Thank you veryy much for your help. Have a good ay and wekend.
Bye

You're welcome. Please take a moment to provide a positive rating. I do not get paid for my time unless you do, which in turn can stop experts assisting customers like you because a lot of us are practicing solicitors, therefore time is important for us and Just Answer can credit us. I’d be most grateful and can answer any follow up questions at no extra cost, thank you.