How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4730
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My partner went away last year down south. Unfortunately he

This answer was rated:

Hi, my partner went away last year down south. Unfortunately he got drunk and caused some criminal damage. He was held in custody overnight and released later that day. He had to pay £150 fine to cover the damage. He was the released to come home. That was roughly June last year. We've received a letter today saying there's a warrent out for his arrest for failure to attend court back in February this year. This is the first correspondence we've had since last year? Where not sure what to do?
Assistant: Does your partner have any upcoming court dates on the criminal damage charges?
Customer: No none what so ever. We thought this had been delt with last year. They never said he had yo go to court.
Assistant: Where did the criminal damage occur?
Customer: He was crossing a road when a taxi pulled out in front of him, he got angry and punched the taxi window
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's everything thank you

Hi thank you for your message, I would advise that you contact a criminal solicitor in your area to represent him immediately. They can then inform the police and look to make an immediate application for him to be released on bail pending a hearing both for the original offence and the failure to appear which is itself a criminal offence. It would be hoped that as you have not received paperwork until now that the court would not make or enforce any judgement regarding the failure to appear but he should get legal representation asap to resolve this issue as soon as possible. You can either search in your local area or use the Law Society Find a Solicitor option here:

Searching by town/postcode and area of law in this case crime. If he is on a law income or benefits then he may get free legal representation. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for help, its really useful

Glad I could help, take care.