Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I was stopped in my local aldi supermarket last week. I am

Hello. I was stopped in my local aldi supermarket last week . I am currently in I'll health and I had taken a lot of pain relief I.e morphine etc. I had shopping in my basket and the next thing I know a stone assistant asked if I had stolen a pen as the empty packet was in the basket. A lot of this incident is a blur but I believe I took the pen out to try it and set that moment she saw me. I didnt intend stealing the pen as I had the packaging in my basket. I was never detained but this has devastated me. A friend wrote an email to the store customer services and they spoke to the manager but they say I am banned. They never banned me.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I am in uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My friend emailed the stores customer services. I haven't had any communication with the store they never took my details but the stated at me while I left and saw my car reg
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question. It is my pleasure to work with you today. I may have clients and travelling so please bear with me if I am delayed getting back to you. It isn’t a chat service.

I need some more information about the issue please.

What is it that you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to be able to go back in the store. The customer services of the store have spoken with the store manager and said the ban still applies. I explained that I was not in good health,i have never done this before etc. But they never took my details I.e name etc. The store assistants were very intimidating and watched me get in my car. Can they trace me by my car. Can I be arrested still for this as this occurred last monday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They never said I was banned.

Thank you for the reply.

A supermarket or any other organisation for that matter pub, shop, sports ground, whatever is entitled to allow whosoever they like into the premises provided they are not excluding you on the grounds of any protected characteristic such as race, sex, religion et cetera.

They don’t actually legally have to have a reason.

In this particular case, they suspect that you committed the theft.

Whilst your medication may explain why, it is only mitigation and not a defence.

Because of the nature of what this is, it’s most unlikely they are going to refer the matter to the police although they could do. It’s also unlikely that even if the police were called, they would prosecute because this would normally be dealt with by fixed penalty.

I will give you my suggestion and that is to write to the head office a nice appealing letter (not a complaint) saying exactly what’s happened, what the store have said, and asking them to overturn the decision. At this stage you are going to get further appealing rather than complaining.

If you could please rate my service five stars (even if it’s not the answer you wanted) that would be really helpful. If you have any further questions you want to ask on this subject, I am happy to deal with those for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Would getting a letter from my doctor help?

I don’t think that would do any harm at all. Excellent idea