12826847

I have received a parking ticket with my name given wrongly

I have received a parking ticket with my name given wrongly ie Cyue it should be Gue is the parking charge legal
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: A parking area at Bovisand Beach near Plymouth DEVON
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No they are asking for a payment of 60 pounds for 59 minutes parking if not paid in 3 days it will be 100 pounds
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was waiting and a friend John Groves BEM said he had paid the fee however he was diagnosed with dementia in August and his wife who was present said he may well of got my car registration wrong I have explained this situation to PPS but they refuse to cancel the charge

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
PPS WHO ARE SITUATED IN NEWTON aBBOTT

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your information

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/