Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My items where moved to another room in the hotel without my

Customer Question

My items where moved to another room in the hotel without my permission. It was a invasion of my privacy and I can’t go back since all was spread out, like my medicine etc. feels like someone broke into my house. What can I do?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Apparently they’ve been trying to contact us but never had any missed calls on my phone.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

What do you do when the hotel cleaner comes? Isn’t that the same thing? Note it will be the morning when I reply

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Jamie
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The hotel cleaner doesn’t move my items unless I require it,no? And also they are not allowed to touch the bed as long as there are items on it. I mean where is my right? Can anyone move in and move my stuff around, will I not have privacy? Especially my husband is a pro footballer, the I guess everyone can come in and move items without permission also with presidents and famous people
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

What is it you want to seek, compensation? I don’t think you would get more than £10,000 for someone moving your stuff.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Well, I just want to know, what are my rights as a guest. We had expensive watches and cloth and documents in that room. I used to take anxiety medicine which they touched, I just feel so empty and my husband and I can’t believe that they were doing the right thing?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Especially moving our stuff to another room without clarifying it with us although our room is paid.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s an invasion in my our privacy. Any laws?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

No invasion of privacy. You are staying on private property. They can move rooms. They can come into your room.

If things had been lost/stolen you could sue for that. But as it stands you can sue for the mental distress it has caused you.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'}
span.s1 {text-decoration: underline ; color: #dca10d}
span.s2 {color: #dca10d}
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.