12826847

I was in a car accident two days ago. The police took my car

Customer Question

I was in a car accident two days ago. The police took my car away to Egertons motor recovery specialists. I am not being allowed to retrieve the contents of my car, which includes my personal identity, my hearing ais with which I cannot hear. My distance glasses and also reading glasses are in the car. I was in hospital overnight and when I asked for my personal belongings out of the car I was told I could not have them.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK in Cumbria and I am dealing with the Carlisle traffic police.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, except I got home from hospital last night and realised I hadn't got my house keys, I then went to my local station in Penrith who contacted Carlisle, who then told me the traffic sergeant had them.I then travelled 22 miles cack to Carlisle police station and after announcing myself on the message system I was let in and waited an hour before a young clerk appeared and went to investigate who had got my keys. I was very frustrated by then as I hadn't had a quality nights sleep at the hospital, I was worn out. I then realised when I got back that my hearing aids as well as personal documentation is in the car, I am now left without my hearing as I am severely deaf and they are expensive ones that cost about £5000.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also have some expensive persian rugs in the car which I had just purchased in Penrith at the George Hotle worth about £2000, which I have been refused when I went up to Egertons recovery in Carlisle. They told me there is a retaining order put on them by the police and would not let me have those either despite me explaining there was a load of fresh fish in the car which would obviously affect their condition.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

How can I help with this please?