How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6598
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My husband is starting with dementia and has just lost his

Customer Question

my husband is starting with dementia and has just lost his job,i have some inheritance money.if i use this to pay off the ease finances,and he needs care in the future.will i be left vunerable?can we be forced to sell the house to pay for care.therefore i may loose my inheritance. what are my options to protect my inheritance? sell the house and downsize,therefore keeping my inheritance money in a seperate account? not sure of the best plan of action.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: England ,sorry didn't realise this was an american site
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: none at the moment .his neurologist told us verbally he has a high risk of dementia ,and that it had probably started already
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need to know how to protect this inheritance from care home fees. i have no pension of my own,so was going to use this money as such. my husband has a private pension ,he is only 56
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 months ago.


Yes, I would advise you to sell and downsize and keep your inheritance money separate in your name in a separate bank account.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i need power of attourney .is it quicker and easier to get a solicitor to do it ?and how much would it cost roughly?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 months ago.

Yes, it is advisable to get a solicitor to draft it.

There is no standard fee, you need to shop around to see who offers you the best quote.

All the best, ***** ***** on 5 stars