UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My husband is starting with dementia and has just lost his

Customer Question

my husband is starting with dementia and has just lost his job,i have some inheritance money.if i use this to pay off the mortgage.to ease finances,and he needs care in the future.will i be left vunerable?can we be forced to sell the house to pay for care.therefore i may loose my inheritance. what are my options to protect my inheritance? sell the house and downsize,therefore keeping my inheritance money in a seperate account? not sure of the best plan of action.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: England ,sorry didn't realise this was an american site
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: none at the moment .his neurologist told us verbally he has a high risk of dementia ,and that it had probably started already
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need to know how to protect this inheritance from care home fees. i have no pension of my own,so was going to use this money as such. my husband has a private pension ,he is only 56
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

Yes, I would advise you to sell and downsize and keep your inheritance money separate in your name in a separate bank account.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i need power of attourney .is it quicker and easier to get a solicitor to do it ?and how much would it cost roughly?

Yes, it is advisable to get a solicitor to draft it.

There is no standard fee, you need to shop around to see who offers you the best quote.

All the best, ***** ***** on 5 stars