JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

SUPPLEMENTARY DOC'S - SIGNING: -- For Jim Only -- I have a

Customer Question

SUPPLEMENTARY DOC'S - SIGNING:-- For Jim Only --Hello there. I have a question with regards ***** ***** of supplementary paperwork, i.e. a Grounds of Appeal, or Skeleton Argument and what may happen if these documents are submitted to the Court and to the other side without having been signed and or dated?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim.

If are to rely upon the documents sent to the court then they need to be signed - the reason being a signature and date are both required for the "statement of truth" which is the section at the end of the document confirming to the court you believe the facts in the document are true.

Under rule 22 of the CPR it would also not be admissible as evidence and may also be struck out on direction of the court : https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part22

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Might they be considered valid if the main document, for example, as in this case, the Appellant's notice is signed?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

That's the main document so yes, that would be fine. As far as the other documents are concerned the court may direct that signed copies are sent - within a certain time frame - and if they are not then the appeal is struck out, etc.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. Could I perhaps write a letter explaining and attaching the signed portion of the respective documents?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

You could do, yes.