How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14750
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Jo.Can I sue student finance England for loosing my original

Customer Question

Hello Jo.Can I sue student finance England for loosing my original document which cost me 850£
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I called them and asked to give me the papers back,but they said they lost it
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

please give me all the background to this matter please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I applied for my student finance as an EEA worker family member. My husband is British but I have got my Residence card as EEA family member because we lived a year in Bulgaria before we came here.They accepted this fact in First and asked me send all his invoices ans Year 2018/2019 tax return report which cost us 720 £ from our accountant. I sent up all the papers they asked and after that they replied that I can not get loan as a EEA family member because my husband is British.I complaint till Stage 2 appeal that UK government gave me an official bio metrical card where states that I am a EU family member but they replied that I am British family member first of all .So i asked to return all my original papers, I wanted all invoices and tax return papers but they send me copies with a letter that they can not find and provide the original papers any more.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

In your initial question, you say that the amount was GBP850 but you now say it was GBP720.

How much was it?

It seems to be a lot of money to pay to an accountant for some copy documents which had already been prepared.

If you were to ask the accountant for those again, would it not be simply a case of him copying them for a nominal fee, if anything at all?

Or are you saying that you incurred this cost because of the accountants work and that they should have told you before you got the accountant to do the work and prepare all these papers, that you wouldn’t have been eligible because that way, you have saved however much money?

What is the problem with the copies that have been provided?