Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am having a dispute with my garage and was after some

Customer Question

Hi, I am having a dispute with my garage and was after some advice. They "fixed" my car about 6 weeks for an overheating problem, they first changed just the coolant cap as advised by the AA, then the coolant bottle, then the thermostat, then another part saying it was still leaking, escalated throughout the day from £5 to £411. They said it was all fixed but 3 weeks later it overheated and oil and coolant went all over the engine. they say it is nothing to do with them and will not fix it unless we pay again. They plucked a figure of £1600 out of the air but then admitted they had not looked at it. Could the work be down to them and do i have a claim against them?
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: to be honest I am no a car person, they filled the coolant up again when they fixed it, they still have the car, we have had to buy another as we have 2 small children
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Vauxhall Meriva, 2010, it has done about 77000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, they still have it at their premises
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: mostly if the work they completed had any affect on the fault 3 weeks later please
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am seeking to start legal action to recover the cost of the car, which is basically a write off now and any advice to help with this case will be very much appreciated.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

How much are you seeking to claim?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Jamie, the claim would be in the region of £2900, the question though was to advise on work carried out on the car but any help you can give would be great
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.