Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Our landlord is charging us for, building insurance, loses

Customer Question

our landlord is charging us for
JA: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?
Customer: building insurance , loses of rent and owner liability i am not sure we should be charged
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I have the document but do not quite understand can i email them to you
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We had a leak from flat above as the landlord took out the kitchen, lots of damage how do we clam for this - who pays
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please can you look at attached and see if you think its correct we should be paying - thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also we had a leak, there is lot of damage - who pays
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We rent a shop in London - the new landlord took over - we have had to pay some insurance. i asked for a copy of document and it looks to me like we are paying what he should. also we had a leak from the flat above they are doing works. lots of damage he says clam of the insurance i thought we should clam of his insurance as we had not course the problem? thanks
bridget
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Is he charging you for repairs to the building?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no he had not done that - i would like to claim for lass of business and damage to my property from the leak
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Ah ok. Do you have business interruption insurance ?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no - but what we have paid him does not look right to me - have you received the attachment
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

OK, yes I have read that.

A Landlord is responsible for the buildings insurance.

If you want money for loss of business then you should have business interruption insurance. That is not your Landlord responsibility

If your property has been damaged, you should have contents insurance. Again this is not down to the Landlord.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the document sent all looks ok to you - we should be paying for the building etc
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Yes, that is normal.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
its correct we should be paying for the attached insurance - not the landlord?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

You should be paying it, yes
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
we are liable for all damage from above
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

No. But ordinarily your insurance would pay out, then claim off their insurance.

You need to do the same.

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

You need to do the same.

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.