12826847

I was pulled over by the police last night because my

Customer Question

Hi I was pulled over by the police last night because my boyfriend was driving me car on an empty road at night from one car park to another whilst accompanied by myself but he was not insured but he had his driving test today and I’m getting a summons to go to court and I was wondering if you had any advice
Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: Northern Ireland and 18:35 on 7/10/19
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes they said it could be 6months to a year before I get a summons
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that’s it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was wondering if you had any advice for me just regarding what I would need to say in court, I was unaware that you needed to be 21 with 3 years experience before you could accompany a learner driver, the officers said I could face getting points on my license for allowing my boyfriend to drive my car the short distance before his driving exam the following day or I could just get a caution regarding the circumstances.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Are you being prosecuted for permitting no insurance?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m not sure they didn’t say because it was my car and my car has fully comprehensive insurance on it and my boyfriend has his provisional license and has fully comprehensive insurance on his car at home so I let him drive my car maybe 100yrds then park to practice for his driving test.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

I would expect a prosecution for permitting no insurance and no licence. That carries 6 points and a fine I'm afraid.

Sadly there is no defence in saying that you didn't know. Road traffic is generally of strict liability and also ignorance of the law is not usually a defense.

Sorry if that's bad news.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But it wasn’t me with no insurance and no license?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

But you were acting as a supervisor.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I could lose my license even though I wasn’t even driving?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Well, you would get points and fine.