How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3142
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

Please, my son is about to start a job in Taiwan and they

Customer Question

please, my son is about to start a job in Taiwan and they want a check of his criminal record for the years he lived in the UK but he no longer lives there. How can he apply, the DBS on-line form asks you to confirm you are still living there
JA: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does your son live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: He's British but we moved to Portugal when he was 10, he went to University from 2014-17 and then he spent a year in Spain and another year in Portugal. He has his Police check for Portugal and Spain but they've asked for the UK years. He's teaching English in Taiwan. He has been offered a job and they're helping him get a Work Permit
JA: Has your son talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 4 months ago.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and your patience. If he got the job through an agency they can do the application on his behalf. Because he will be teaching the dbs required is an enhanced one and an individual cannot request that on their own. the employer will have to make the request. If his address in the UK is your address then for purposes of the check you would have to provide the residence address as yours. The online check will not under any circumstance accept an overseas address. There are companies that do these checks for a fee but I would strongly recommend that you check their credibility first by either calling them or by calling action fraud just to make sure they are not on their radar for fraud. These companies will normally use their address as care of address.You can look at this one on the link below, I am not recommending them, you should check if they will be suitable for your son should you wish not to use your address:

I hope this is useful to you and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience.

All the best