LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I am in the UK. If I signed a bridging loan contract waiving

Customer Question

I am in the UK. If I signed a bridging loan contract waiving my right to sue for an unfair contract is this totally enforceable or if the terms have caused financial difficulty can I still sue? It’s an unregulated loan so normal consumer credit rules do not apply
Assistant: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: UK Jurisdiction
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Loan taken out in 2018. Term length 1year. Penalties are excessive causing financial hardship but I don’t think I have any legal recourse as I signed a document saying I would not sue on the grounds of unfairness
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 12 days ago.

I will be assisting you.

Generally, you would be unable to sue on the ground of unfair contract terms and/or financial difficulty. Usually, the Lender would ask you to sign a Declaration to that affect which you should have received independent legal advice on.

However, this declaration will not affect the powers of a court to make an order under Section 140B of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in relation to a credit agreement where it determines the relation between the lender and the borrower is unfair to the Borrower. This is the case even if the loan agreement is not regulated.

I trust this assists. Is there anything else I can help with?

Just following up whether you require any further assistance?