How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75758
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My brother sadly was found guilty in court yesterday for

Customer Question

My brother sadly was found guilty in court yesterday for three accounts falsely made by his ex. She is a narcissist. I am wondering if there is anything we can do to prove his innocence?
Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?
Customer: Three accounts of assault. Two on her and one on his daughter. We haven’t looked at appeal yet as she is disabled and using it to help boost her vulnerability. Her solicitor in court made it clear that it is not just an assault but a disability crime. The thing is he is completely innocent as my brothers ex has tried to do something like this in the past but dropped the charges if he went back to her. Sadly he did as his daughter was a newborn at the time.
Assistant: Where did the assault occur?
Customer: In his ex wife’s home
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure sorry
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The question is - is there anything we can do to prove he is honestly innocent?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

What was the allegation please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She said that she was assaulted twice and that my brother also assaulted his daughter.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

This just comes down to the fact that the jury believed the prosecution case. That is something they are entitled to do.

You cannot appeal from a jury decision just because you disagree with the verdict. You need to have specific grounds of appeal. You would have had advice from the original barrister upon chances of appeal. If those were negative then there will be no legal aid for appeals.

You could pay privately for another counsel to look at this. There are no guarantees of success though obviously.

The best chance is to secure fresh evidence but that is hard to do here.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.