How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75805
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Could I sue someone for filling a false report with the

Customer Question

Hi, could I sue someone for filling a false report with the police? and or slander?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

What is the allegation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Someone reported to the police that my husband was aggressive and threatened them, which is false
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can we first of all inform the police that it is a false statement
and can we sue for slander and emotional distress?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When will I receive an answer?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

What was the outcome of that allegation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None yet. I just want to know if it’s possible to sue for emotional distress and slander
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information

You do have the option to sue in defamation. This very definitely is defamation. The problem with that is that you have to prove that it was false as opposed to just an allegation that was disbelieved. That is hard to do as you will have the burden of proof. Also, this is a very expensive action and if the accuser has no money there is no recompense. You would still get an injunction though.

You could also sue in harassment if there is more than one allegation. There is a fairly settled law now that making false or trivial allegations can be harassment. That does still cost but it is much cheaper.

Or you could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of harassment and defamation and making clear she should desist. That would only cost about £100 plus VAT.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.