12826847

Could I sue someone for filling a false report with the

Customer Question

Hi, could I sue someone for filling a false report with the police? and or slander?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

What is the allegation?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Someone reported to the police that my husband was aggressive and threatened them, which is false
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can we first of all inform the police that it is a false statement
and can we sue for slander and emotional distress?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When will I receive an answer?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

What was the outcome of that allegation?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
None yet. I just want to know if it’s possible to sue for emotional distress and slander
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the information

You do have the option to sue in defamation. This very definitely is defamation. The problem with that is that you have to prove that it was false as opposed to just an allegation that was disbelieved. That is hard to do as you will have the burden of proof. Also, this is a very expensive action and if the accuser has no money there is no recompense. You would still get an injunction though.

You could also sue in harassment if there is more than one allegation. There is a fairly settled law now that making false or trivial allegations can be harassment. That does still cost but it is much cheaper.

Or you could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of harassment and defamation and making clear she should desist. That would only cost about £100 plus VAT.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo.