12826847

I wonder if you can help me last week I contact HMRC to

Customer Question

Hi I wonder if you can help me last week I contact HMRC to cancel my working tax and child tax credits as I have recently started working more hours and have found myself in a much more secure position now my daughter is at school. I was told my tax credits will stop immediately and if I wish to re claim I have to claim universal credit. The call shortly ended. Today I have recieved a letter from HMRC stating that I need to pay an over payment of £3700.! I phoned them straight away and asked them why I need to pay this they told me that because I’ve cancelled my tax credits half way through the year I now ow. But I was just being honest as I don’t work those hours anymore and I wasn’t told this on the phone had I had been told I may not have increased hours at work until it was ok to cancel my tax credits. Which apparently is April 2020 as you can imagine this has caused great distress to me today i am so worried.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have had to print off a mandatory form and write a brief description of what has happened and now I have to just wait.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I get charged for this?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.