How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3691
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have an issue with our letting agencfy / landlord. They

Customer Question

Good morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have an issue with our letting agencfy / landlord. They are incredibly slow in resolving issues and some of those issues where it made living in our house unbarable. The latest issue we had was that our drainage system was completely ruined because roots of an outside tree grew into our pipes. It took us with having to go to the toilet together and showering for 30 seconds for two weeks untill finally someone came to fix ths issue. They had to break open a cupboard in our kitchen to access those pipes and that cupboard is still not fixed. Always with the answer "We have to get approval from the landloard and he isn't respodning..." My question here: Is there a way to tie them to some sort of service level agreement that makes all parites happy to move forward as we are very affraid of the issues to come and get resolved very slowly.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Sorry you can't have ready my message yet. And no steps have been taken.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Blackheat, London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if there are any charges for doing so.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 4 months ago.
Hi thank you for your message, the service provided by the managing agent is the responsibility of the landlord so it is unlikely you can get a service agreement as you are not entitled to it. That said, moving forward you can hold the landlord responsible, and by extension their agent if repairs are not carried out in a reasonable time. Reasonable is subjective but a boiler failure is more important than a light bulb needs changing. If the agent fails to respond appropriately and the house is inhospitable as a result you can report the matter to the councils trading standards who can force the landlord to make repairs. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.