How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 63259
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Not sure how to go about this. But I need help to get money

This answer was rated:

Hi not sure how to go about this . But I need help to get money off a person I helped a while back . But refusing to pay me back
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ipswich
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I can't face court I have anxiety also lost my hubby 2 years ago . I've tried talking to them . Offered them to pay me back in two halfs to help them . But still refusing . They've made accasional threats over me asking them to pay me back
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Long story but we started seeing each other . He told me him and his wife arnt together . But they are and he's putting everything on me she doesn't know bout me and him . But he's playing sick mind games calling awful nams made threats accused me of him and daughter not talking when she has told me helself . It has nothing to do with me why she don't want to know him she has own reasons

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How much are you owed and how long has it been outstanding?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I owed £470 . And it's been since about march can't give a definite date without checking a txt from person asking me for the money
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't cope well talking on the phone die to anxiety

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I understand that you cannot face court due to anxiety, in the end that is going to be your only option to take this further I’m afraid. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't face him due to threats . I have tried asking him many times for money . In begining he said April then may then July then August which I needed it for holiday for my kids . Let me down then said after his holiday September then I get it in time for Christmas . Now I've asked him yet again he's now refusing to pay me the money . I'm a widow 5 children in house . Can't afford not to get that money . He's got rude nasty along the way every time I ask him . Last night he asked me to be his dirty bitch whore slut ect no money till I do . That's not on or exceptable . Saying that to a person . He's caused me to bill worse with anxiety . Simply just need what he owes me then it's sorted . I struggle on a one to one or courts meeting due to anxiety I reall need help to get my money and this all to end . It's like a living nightmare

You can instruct a lawyer to represent you but obviously that will cost money. In the end I am afraid there is no solution apart from him agreeing to return the money voluntarily or you having to make a claim. It is how the law works, sadly I cannot change that. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can't afford solicitor

The only other option is to consider a McKenzie friend:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What's that

Have you looked at the link I provided – it explains everything in full on there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't understand any of this never had to do this
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou for advise . I will write a letter to the person who owes me this money and give him chance to pay me the money . If he ignore me or threaten me in any way . I would like a formal letter from your self's with the time limit to pay me . Then take it from there if he ignores your letter . And I would take it further if needed . Just my anxiety is a huge problem with this sort of thing ect so I would need help and support with it all if it goes further legally

I understand and there is support out there if needed, but do as you have proposed to start with and the evaluate your options and position as things progress

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will . What happens once I've wrote letter for a payment dead line . How do I get you to write letter if still ignored or threatened again

I dom not write letters for you, we are just an online chat service, so my involvement is only to provide advice on your rights and options, as I have done above

Ben Jones and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
who would I go to next if you've said write a letter first if don't get reply ect who do I then contact for further letter . If I'm ignored . Or don't get any response or threatened through writing letter m as you said I could get help to have a further letter wrote to the person

The issue is that if you wanted someone to formally write to them you have to instruct a lawyer yourself, which would cost, or perhaps try someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau, which is a bit hit and miss as they may be too busy to do that – still worth trying though, The alternative is that you keep sending the letters yourself