31090051

Is a shadow of a recognisable figure (eg. Mikey Mouse)

Customer Question

Is a shadow of a recognisable figure (eg. Mikey Mouse) protected by copyright? can I freely use the outline of a shape without repercussions
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: none
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your question. On the basis that you create the picture you would own the copyright. However if you try to use it for commercial purposes, Disney could attack this as a breach of, not copyright, but the trademarked image of their character which they jealously guard. I could not advise you to do this. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ah, but with changes to the shape to make it a nondescript mouse that should be fine
Expert:  JGM replied 5 days ago.

Yes, that’s ok.