marcusmalin
marcusmalin,
66642005

I wanted to ask about divorce mediation please Assistant:

Hi - I wanted to ask about divorce mediation please
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes. We have a decree absolute (18 months ago!), but the other side won’t negotiate on a financial settlement. Had first court hearing on Monday and the judge said we should try to resolve this or an FDR will cost a fortune. Is it too late to go back and try mediation now?
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Yes, it was in Oxford
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just trying to find out if I’m too late to try mediation now?

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Yes you can have mediation at anytime. It does however take 2 willing participants to have successful mediation.

Has your solicitor advised you of the costs for an FDR?

Marcus.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, but I’ve already spent 2 years and £30k getting to a first court appointment I never wanted and can’t afford
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, I don’t know the costs, but it has to be cheaper than what we’re doing now

Those costs seem ridiculous. Who is your Solicitor - what firm.

Yes mediation is good but you both need to be willing.

Marcus.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
looking at it now, the costs are huge and have built up over 26 months. Judge did point this out at first hearing on Monday and that costs could double to get to FDR. Not as if we’re arguing over millions, so just wanted to check I can try to propose mediation again rather than fight ourselves to a standstill and bankruptcy. Solicitors are Freeths in Oxford

The Judge was possibly being a little over the top to try and make a point. Freeths are not the cheapest so I would imagine an FDR is likely to be about another £5k especially if they instruct a barrister.

Going back to your question mediation is possible but only if he is prepared to engage.

Marcus.

Hello, I would be most grateful if you would kindly rate my answer to enable me to get credit for it.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Marcus.