How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 63296
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a friends girlfriend that has made an acquisation

This answer was rated:

I have a friends girlfriend that has made an acquisation against me, she has lied throughout, subsequently since, has got threatening, telling lies which I know are lies and slanderous comments to myself and my wife, they have posted threats etc on social media and personally to our phones, this happened Saturday
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none to my knowledge as she says she reported but she is a good liar, when I look back at events, it’s has though she had an agenda, we have declined from reacting to there comments and communication, it’s as though they are trying to get a reaction, there were no witnesses, just her word against mine
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What is your question in relation to this please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What can I do about it, and if she reported an aqusation, where do I stand

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. This conduct could potentially amount to harassment, which can be either a civil or a criminal offence. The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct, which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what harassment is, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.

How this matter is dealt with would depend on whether the victim wants to take it down the civil route or the criminal one, or even both.

If a civil claim is made in the courts, it must be initiated within 6 years of the alleged act(s) of harassment taking place. The court can make an order instructing the harasser to stop their behaviour. If they still do not stop harassing the victim it would become a criminal offence and they can be prosecuted in the criminal courts. It is also possible to seek financial compensation if financial or emotional losses have been suffered (e.g. causing severe anxiety or distress).

If the matter is reported to the police instead and they take it further and prosecute, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.

Before the courts or the police get involved it may be better to try and resolve this directly with the harasser. They should be warned that their actions are being treated as harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and that unless they stop what they are doing they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them. If that does not help, the matter can be taken further either by contacting the police and letting them deal with it as they see fit, or starting civil court action by making a claim for harassment.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if she makes a complaint, then do I counter claim it by saying she fabricated the events, or do I confront her with the harassment part, before it goes any further

Either works to be honest and there is no right or wrong answer to that. You may wish to consider making it clear that what she has done so far is already harassment and that any further acts will just add to it and allow you to take it further as needed. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Ben Jones and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

All the best