How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75772
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a lodger in my private rented property who has been

Customer Question

I have a lodger in my private rented property who has been here for 24 days and over the weekend I have had terrible trouble with him coming in at all hours of the morning banging around and he been very abusive and threatening towards me and I told him I wanted him to move out on Saturday and I gave him notice Monday, is that the right procedure
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Taunton somerset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the police yesterday and today and they have given me advice on what to do if I need their help
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’m disabled and off work with depression and it is stressing me out
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

How regularly does he pay rent?

Upon what date?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He paid when he moved in on the 21st September but rent gets paid 4th every month
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He moved in on the
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did u receive my answer
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

If he has paid any rent at all then he is a lodger not a guest. However, it is easy enough to get rid of a lodger. They have far fewer rights than tenants.

Unless he has a contract that says anything else, and you are only on a sublet or acting as a lodger, then he should only have to give notice of 28 days. That does need to be in writing.

If he does not go then you are entitled to wait until he goes out and change the locks.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it me that given him notice of one week because of threatening and abusive behaviour towards me and he does not have a tenancy agreement as the CAB told me the landlord does not need to give him one and he didn’t pay a deposit and I told him it was a 3 month probation period
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

Yes, one week is not adequate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He. Told me wants to go sat but he wants me to give him back money today
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 months ago.

He should give notice commensurate with the rental period.

He can stay until that expires but if he leaves early he can't claim a refund.