UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My daughter rented a property with her husband and I

Customer Question

My daughter rented a property with her husband and I initially put down the depoit which was paid back. About a year ago the husband moved out to live elsewhere and my daughter remained in the property under further agreement and quarantee (her aunt). She is now moving out of that property to move into another which I am providing deposit and she will pay me back when she gets other deposit back. Is her husband (not div yet) entitled to half of that deposit and secondly she has kept property up last 12 months and I am going in to repaint parts and fill any holes etc etc if e is entitled can I charge for my time and work? Thanking you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She Lives in Swindon Wiltshire. Also they hasve a child who lives with my daughter if that makes a difference
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None whatsoever but he has asked for half deposit by text?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at present. Many Thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 10 days ago.

Is he claiming the deposit?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he has texted my daughter asking for 50% of it whatever is returned

Thank you, ***** ***** name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement, I am afraid he may make a claim for 50% of the amount especially if he contributed towards repaying it to you.

You do not have an automatic right to charge for your time, but he may be told that whatever came back was paid towards upkeep of the property and see whether he disputes that or not.

If no agreement is reached, the courts would have the final say.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Just quick one what if his name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement now, is he still entitled to original amount on old one? Thanking you

He could in that case claim that his share of the deposit is due under the previous tenancy agreement.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars