How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6650
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My daughter rented a property with her husband and I

Customer Question

My daughter rented a property with her husband and I initially put down the depoit which was paid back. About a year ago the husband moved out to live elsewhere and my daughter remained in the property under further agreement and quarantee (her aunt). She is now moving out of that property to move into another which I am providing deposit and she will pay me back when she gets other deposit back. Is her husband (not div yet) entitled to half of that deposit and secondly she has kept property up last 12 months and I am going in to repaint parts and fill any holes etc etc if e is entitled can I charge for my time and work? Thanking you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She Lives in Swindon Wiltshire. Also they hasve a child who lives with my daughter if that makes a difference
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None whatsoever but he has asked for half deposit by text?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at present. Many Thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 months ago.


Is he claiming the deposit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he has texted my daughter asking for 50% of it whatever is returned
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement, I am afraid he may make a claim for 50% of the amount especially if he contributed towards repaying it to you.

You do not have an automatic right to charge for your time, but he may be told that whatever came back was paid towards upkeep of the property and see whether he disputes that or not.

If no agreement is reached, the courts would have the final say.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just quick one what if his name is ***** ***** tenancy agreement now, is he still entitled to original amount on old one? Thanking you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 months ago.

He could in that case claim that his share of the deposit is due under the previous tenancy agreement.

All the best. Please click on 5 stars